5 Essential Elements Of A Successful Mobile Learning System
The past decade has witnessed exponential growth, in the demand for mobile learning (“m-Learning”) solutions. This is largely due to the fact that students now carry wireless handheld devices everywhere they go. This means that students can potentially access course materials, download important information, watch video tutorials, and attend online seminars, from anywhere they are able to access the internet. This is one of the reasons that m-learning is fast becoming such an important factor for Higher Education providers.
For Mobile Learning Systems to be effective, they must be well-organized to make m-learning more efficient and successful. They should also be interactive and enjoyable to use, so that the learner becomes engaged in what is being taught. The ability to deliver learning content anywhere, anytime, and to better engage students is precisely why m-Learning has become so important for higher education institutions around the world.
Elements of M-Learning
M-Learning involves 5 important elements.
- Learner– Students or learners are always the top priority. No matter what the mode of learning is, its goals cannot be met without the growth of learners. Today, mobile learning strategies are expected to be interesting, engaging and flexible, so that the learners are given the best possible chance of obtaining academic success.
Some of the key benefits that M-learning can provide are:
- Gives learners access to study material at any time.
- Students are empowered to learn at their own pace.
- Delivers content-rich information, to student’s finger tips.
- Enhances the learning experience, through improved engagement and interaction.
- Dramatically improves communication between students, staff and faculties.
- Teacher– Learning is about the transfer of knowledge, from one person to another. M-learning enhances an educator’s ability to do this, through the use of innovative learning mediums and methods. M-learning provides a platform, through which lessons may be conducted via video, online content, or in interactive group chats. The best part about this is that students have access, from any device, and anytime.
- Content– Gone are the days of chalk boards and overhead projectors. Today, in addition to providing information, M-learning allows for content to be delivered in a fun and interactive method, that greatly improves that engagement of students. Interactive games, quizzes, videos, and one-to-many sharing functionality, are just some of the possibilities that M-learning facilitates.
- Environment– Student engagement and academic success are directly tied to the learning environment. A mobile learning strategy provides educators with an opportunity to design the environment in a way that creates a positive learning experience. In addition to providing students with access to course content through any device, M-learning organizes information in logical ways, and creates a virtual environment where students can interact with each other and their teachers, to ask questions, share ideas, and seek feedback.
- Assessment– The M-learning platform also enables teachers to publish grades and provide their students with more detailed feedback regarding assessible tasks, than would otherwise be possible. An example of this can include things like juxtaposing a screen shot from a specific page of a course textbook, with an incorrect answer to an exam question.
Every day, more, and more academics and higher education providers are becoming aware of M-learning systems and why they are becoming prerequisites for education in the 21st century.
To learn more about the practical applications of Mobile Digital Campus, Register for the iSeminar on how Unifyed helps leading universities across the globe to develop apps for campus management.
Dennis is the Chief Product Officer at Unifyed. As a technology evangelist, Dennis has led the evolution of products that equip HigherEd institutions with world-class technology. Propelled by innovative ideas and proficiency in scalable application development, Dennis endeavors to develop user-friendly on-campus products to promote business growth.